Playing a Collegiate Sport
I’m a junior here at Ohio Northern, and unlike most athletes
in high school, I did not come in my freshman year of college continuing to
play the sport I played all throughout high school. When I came to Northern it
was originally for pharmacy school and I was worried that I wouldn’t have to
split between both school and playing a sport, so it looked like it was time
for me to put the clubs away. My career in pharmacy school ended about as fast
as it began. As classes started, I realized I wasn’t interested in it and
didn’t like where I was at but that’s a story for another time. After the end
of my sophomore year, I began to miss the sport I used to play almost every day
and I missed playing in competition. I quickly got in contact with the golf
coach and set up a meeting and after explaining myself, Coach was very
welcoming and so were all the players on the team. I soon found out that I had
missed so much my first two years but I was thankful to be on the team and I’ll
tell you why.
I didn’t
realize how much fun I had playing in competition. I have played in golf
tournaments since I was old enough to remember. I was traveling around playing
in junior tournaments until I started playing in high school. Playing golf for all
four years in high school was an incredible experience that I will never
forget. There’s no better feeling than walking off the 18th green,
shaking your opponents hand, and knowing you played your best to beat whoever you
were paired with. It was all friendly competition but something about it kept
my passion alive.
The golf
team turned into some of my closest friends. I was worried that when I came in
junior year, I would be the outcast of the group. I was accepted with open arms
by all the members on the team and playing this year has been an absolute
blast. We have had multiple team bonding opportunities like a team trip to the
zoo at the beginning of the semester, a five-hole scramble tournament on the
simulator, and basically any match we have and we drive at least an hour away
is a team bonding experience. It’s non-stop laughs with this team and I couldn’t
have asked for a better start to my college golf career.
Playing a
collegiate sport has also taught me the valuable lesson of time management.
Playing a sport takes up a lot of time and I quickly learned that the time I
need to spend doing homework and study need to be very carefully planned when
considering the time, I have to spend practicing golf. On top of that, I threw
working into the mix. This got me into the habit of sitting down before every week
and planning out my days in order to get everything done.
Playing a
sport in college isn’t exactly what I thought it was, it’s more. It has brought
me closer to so many people, it keeps me on track and focused on the course and
in the classroom and it allows me to continue you playing the sport that I
love. I wish I could go back and change the face that I didn’t play my first
two years here, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make the most of the two I have
left.
I commend all college athletes. I think it takes a special person who is dedicated and passionate about said sport. I played basketball all through High School and I miss it terribly, but I would not be able to play at the collegiate level. I love that you didn't join until halfway through your college career. I appreciate how you are able to make it worth above everything else you do on campus. I have a busy week without a sport so I cannot even imagine my life with a sport!
ReplyDeleteAaron,
ReplyDeleteI find it inspiring you joined the team after missing two years! In my experience with sports, I never had a good experience with my teammates. I was always the unwanted outcast so I could see how that would be a fear of yours, and that could be a difficult decision to make. It is really great how you were still accepted into the team. I hear many stories from student athletes and their teammates, and I really wish I could have that experience. I am glad you took the opportunity to continue what you loved instead of letting fear or doubt get in your way.
Crystal
Aaron, I think it is awesome that you decided to pick the clubs back up and begin to compete again. I think that playing a sport here at ONU really tests you as an individual. In high school it was easy to play a sport and get all of your work done at the same time. Here in college, you may have a travel of over an hour one way trip and it makes it tough to prepare for classes. I always say that playing a sport is like having a full time job because you have to put in a ton of hours every week to prepare for games. Best of luck in the remainder of your time here at ONU.
ReplyDeleteThis is awesome! I feel like golf isn't the first sport that comes to someone's mind as a typical competitive sport, but it is it, of course, just as valid, and I commend you for using your athletic ability! I have a friend here who played golf in high school and misses it, so go for you that you decided to jump right back in. Joining a community like a sport can surprisingly turn in to a home, something that only makes you better, even if it makes you busier. I'm glad that's what golf turned out to be for you!
ReplyDeleteTime management is so crucial for a collegiate athlete, I have found that while I was in season for swimming I did a better job of time management. When I would be out of season I often felt like I had all of this extra time so my motivation to get things done in a timely manner would not be as high. The memories that you make and the people that you meet will stay with you forever and although it takes some time away from social life on campus I wouldn't trade the time I spent with my team for the world.
ReplyDelete