Help Wanted: How I Found My Internship


In the Dicke College of Business here at ONU, every student is required to participate in an internship in order to complete the requirements to graduate from the university. This is a very stressful part of the road to graduation that every student takes because it is the time to put all of our classroom knowledge and transfer it to real life situations. As stressful as it is, I believe it is a very useful part of ONU’s curriculum and why ONU has such a high success rate of alumni in the workplace. Coming into my junior year, my internship was the biggest stress of them all. I had so many questions like what internship, where would I go, how would I begin my search and would I be accepted if I applied. My initial reaction was to panic like always, but slowly it was something that slowly became a part of my nightly routine to pray for and things really started to fall into place from there.

It all started one week when I met with my advisor. I knew I was going to struggle finding an internship because I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. Let’s face it, graduation is coming soon, and I still don’t know what I want to do but I have a much better idea now. After my meeting with my advisor I walked away very discouraged and troubled because of the lack of progress I had made with the conversation. It was a normal Thursday for the most part so most of my day was spent doing homework and preparing for Fusion. I just remember sitting at my desk not knowing what to do or think, and yes, I was overreacting but never mind that. I just started praying that something would come my way and I would take any position no matter what it was as long as it got me the credit to graduate.

That night I walked into Fusion like normal and took my seat. After the typical ice breaker game and announcements, we watched a video. Normally there is a speaker but this week it was a video sermon by a Pastor named Pete Wilson from a church in Nashville, Tennessee. His topic was about his book titled, “What Keeps You Up at Night?” and basically it was about chasing your dreams but following God’s plan for your life and how to find it. You know those times you go to church and the sermon seems to be tailored just for you? Fusion was for me that night and about an hour before I didn’t even feel like going.

After the service I talked to one of my good friends about CRU Winter Conference. I had gone the year before and I was getting excited about sign-ups because it changed my life last year and I wasn’t going to miss out this year. He directed my attention to ONU’s CRU advisor, Rob Naim. Rob came over and we discussed my passion for going back to Winter Conference and he could see how much it had affected me. This led him into telling me about an internship opportunity and I almost collapsed. He began to explain how this internship was no ordinary internship. Crossroads was the name of it and it sounded like a dream come true. It was based out of Chicago, it was missions based and I would get to do creative work for different CRU projects such as Winter Conference and Global Missions. I applied as soon as I could because this was an opportunity that I Just couldn’t miss.

Fast forward a couple months to now and I’ve had two phone interviews after which I was accepted to participate in this amazing opportunity, so the process begins of raising support. Considering this is a mission’s trip, I am required to raise money to go on this trip and participate in the internship. I know how crazy it sounds for a college kid to be paying for his internship but there is so much more meaning behind it than money and I get to spend 10 weeks in Chicago, so I really couldn’t think of a better way to spend my summer. If you decided to click on this blog and got this far, I would appreciate any thoughts and prayers you have for me on my journey this summer and I plan on using this platform to keep people up to date with everything happening during my summer in Chicago. If you are interested, stay tuned this summer and I would be happy to share more details on what I have been doing during my internship.

Comments

  1. I think getting an internship is the most nerve wrecking part of the DCBA program honestly. It's probably the hardest thing to do in any college at any university. Putting yourself out there and having to get a big kid job is super intimidating. I think we're lucky that ONU helps so much, and I'm so jealous you get to be in Chicago! The Windy City is my favorite City. I'll definitely be curious to hear about your internship as a fellow marketing major!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts