My Passion of Fitness


Fitness is something I’m relatively new to, but it has started to transform me in more ways than just physically. I have been on and off with fitness and working out ever since I came to college freshman year and had access to a “free” gym. I was always interested in it but like a lot of people I struggled with having the motivation to go and the time to spare to spend in the gym. Another thing I struggled with was the knowledge, looking back now, I feel like I needed to get the results I was looking for. As I bounced back and forth between lifting and not, there was a driving factor getting me back in the gym, my dad.

In March 2015, my dad was affected by a disease or condition known as Transverse Myelitis. It is inflammation on one or both sides of the spinal cord interrupting the messages the spinal cord sends to the body dealing with movement and sensation. After bringing my dad home from the hospital we watched him basically learn how to walk again. He was on a walker for a few months and when he finally started regaining some feeling in his legs and gaining a little balance he began his journey to learn how to walk again.

Walking wasn’t the only thing he learned again either because after walking came running and lifting. Just a short time later in December 2016, my dad discovered his passion for the gym. Seeing how much he enjoyed it, I decided in January, I was going to try to be consistent in the gym and for the remainder of Christmas break, my dad was my lifting partner and kept me motivated to get up and go.

I slowly began seeing results after I came back to school and continued to be consistent with it and I slowly started transforming my body. While I am still working hard and continuing my transformation, I have seen tremendous progress from where I once was. I have done various training programs and tried different things in the gym whether it be cutting and losing weight or bulking and gaining weight trying to put on muscle. I started my journey at 215 half way through my sophomore year and currently almost finished with my junior year and I am 197 lbs and climbing because I am currently trying to gain some strength.

In between these two time periods, I stayed consistent with my weight at a steady 190 lbs for a while and over the course of the summer I started a cut and got myself down to 180 lbs which was my thinnest and I am currently working back up from this summer in the healthiest condition I have ever been in my life. This health is physical including body shape, size and physique and it is also mentally, the healthiest I have ever been. Lifting and working out was a way for me to clear my head and find something I enjoyed focusing on.

By no means am I saying lifting is for everyone, but being active, lifting weights and getting a good sweat in each morning/evening knowing I gave it everything I had before I walked out those doors makes me a happier person. I enjoy the aspect of constantly making progress and getting stronger and I also enjoy knowing I am doing something to change my life for the better and it gives me a more positive outlook on life.

Comments

  1. Aaron,

    I'm glad that you have found something to be so passionate about, and that it is something that will better yourself in the long run. I used to be really into fitness when I swam and dove my freshman and sophomore year here at Northern. However, injury, scheduling, and lack of motivation have sort of hindered my interest in daily exercise. I do really miss being active, and hopefully will be able to stick with it and see the positive results you're talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaron, This is great that you have found something that drives you. A lot of people that I know like to use working out as their get away. It is a time where you can just go and be on your own and throw some weights around. It doesn't even have to be when you are mad or upset, working out can be for positive reasons as well. again, I'm glad you are passionate about this and hope you stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think working out is one of the best things anyone can do, it not only improves your body but I personally believe it can help people mentally. I am not very much into the lifting scene but I love to do cardio exercises. I would like to start lifting again because I stopped after swim season, but I know I will have to get over the soreness. Especially while I am trying to train a lot of cardio, being sore from lifting makes it a lot more difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's cool you have a passion for fitness. I wish I could say the same. I often think about running, but then I remember I hate it. I do work out over the summer with a trainer and have found that I love lifting, but I fail to keep it up at ONU because I feel like I'll be judged by all the "hard core" lifters in King Horn. I see results when I really focus on my eating habits and walk instead of drive places and even the times I get over my fear and go to the gym to lift. I think it's awesome fitness makes you feel good and you've gotten the results you want!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts