Not Your Typical Birthday Party
I went home this past weekend for a very special date in my
family. April 21st is my brother’s birthday, so I went home to
celebrate but the reason way we celebrate is a little unorthodox. My brother
passed away almost four years ago so we like to celebrate, not only to remember
him, but also just to be together as a family and remind each other how much
love we still have for each other and Adam even though he isn’t there to
celebrate with us.
His birthday is a tough day for all of us. He was 19 when
the accident happened so on Saturday we celebrated his 23rd
birthday. The celebrations typically have been the same each year. We start
each day doing something as a family. This year we went for a bike ride and
then went and picked up supplies for the afternoon. After eating lunch and
hanging out all day, my parents, uncle and I went down to the cemetery. My mom
likes to go at sunset because sunsets are her favorite so we went at sunset.
Every year we always do a balloon launch. We go to the store
and get whatever number balloons for his age so this year we had 23. Each of us
and whoever else comes with us (family, friends of ours, etc.) usually writes a
note on a piece of paper and ties it to the balloon. These are our “letters to
Heaven.” It is a tradition we will always hold near and dear to our hearts. So,
while the music plays and the balloons fly, we just sit and find peace and
solace where we are. It can be challenging but my family is great support for
me to lean on and I have a ton of friends standing behind me when I need help
back up.
After leaving the cemetery we head back home from dinner
(which varies) and ice cream cake because we ALWAYS have ice cream cake for
birthdays in my family. It’s always comforting because ice cream cake is my
favorite for one, and it always reminds me of old times for two. It’s nice to
just sit around the table and laugh and talk with family and friends about
past, present, present and future and just enjoy fellowship and the love we
have for one another.
After a long day filled with all sorts of different
emotions, it was nice to just sit down on the couch and relax. Of course,
within 5 minutes my parents were both asleep and I was left to just reflect on
the day and sit back and thank God for what I had. Yes, our day of celebration
wasn’t the happiest and as cheery as a normal birthday party, yes, it is one of
the most stressful days I personally go through dealing with the loss of my
brother, but the lessons it has taught, the love it has inspired and the
relationships it has brought into our lives are things to always be thankful
for.
Aaron,
ReplyDeleteThis is absolutely beautiful. I love how you and your family does this for your brother. I think it is amazing how instead of making his birthday a day of sadness and mourning, you made is a day of family, love and celebration. I know this day must be very hard for your family, but I am sure what your family does truly makes your brother happy.
Thanks for sharing your story,
Crystal
I am happy you chose to write about this. I remember when we sat in the Dicke Attrium and opened up about both my mom and your brother. I really found a friend in you that day! This tradition is beautiful and I love that you guys are able to find peace in such a sad day. We actually did this exact same thing for my moms birthday this year. Sometimes its nice to write a letter and just put pen to paper. Prayers to you and the family.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry to hear about your brother and I can't imagine what it must've felt like to share this story with everyone. I think what you and your family so is such a beautiful and nice tradition. Sending positive vibes and prayers your way and to your family and friends!
ReplyDelete