Starting Spring Golf Season
With golf being a fall and spring sport at the collegiate
level, it brings new aspects to the game. These new aspects of playing can
change the game completely including weather conditions and what type of shape
the courses are in. These two are the main factor in determining how I will
play, other than the obvious reason of my skill level but when skill goes
downhill, I like to look for excuses. My season officially kicked off this
weekend with my first tournament and I thought I would touch on the differences
of playing in the spring.
I have only ever been used to playing in the fall or even
just recreationally in the spring, but I was also a fair-weather golfer when it
wasn’t for competition so playing this weekend in 15 mph winds and 23 degrees
was a little different for me. The wind played a major factor Saturday but not
as much today. I was thankful for less wind today even though it didn’t help me
much in terms of score but at least it was more pleasant to be on the course. Also,
it was a little warmer today with less wind and when the sun finally came out.
But golfing in the cold didn’t help me either. There is nothing like going out in
compression gear and 3 more layers of shirts on top and trying to properly
swing a golf club. It’s not an easy feat to accomplish.
Another difficult thing about spring golf is course
condition and this can come into play in many different ways throughout the
game. For one, spring always seems to bring rain and wet conditions on the
course can be difficult. The greens don’t roll, the fairways are soft, and your
ball can plug, hitting out of thick rough is nearly impossible when it’s been
raining. There is no worse feeling than getting ready for a big approach coming
out of the fairway and sinking your club into soft ground and watching as your
ball goes nowhere. It can really put a hurting on the hole because it’s just an
unnecessary stroke and could’ve been used in better ways. Spring is also when
the greens are still in the process of healing after being aerated for the
winter. Even after some time to heal, typically there are still remnants of the
holes left preparing for winter. This can cause a “plinko” like effect on the
ball when you putt, making each shot unpredictable.
Overall, even though I didn’t play well, it was very cold, I
got wind burnt and the course was basically a swamp, my first start to competitive
spring season was a good one. I got to share it with some awesome guys and it
was a heck of a start to the year and I hope for nothing but improvement as the
season goes on. As coach always says, “Bear down and finish strong.”


Honestly I am so thankful I played sports indoors. I hate that games can be cancelled because of weather. Sitting outside watching baseball games for the 4 years I have, it gets irritating! It being the weather. I commend any college level athlete because college is hard enough. Good luck with your season and Go Bears!
ReplyDeleteAaron, I like this post because I agree that the weather can play a huge part of your game. Also, as you know this spring has been miserable so far. Here we are mid way through April and it is still snowing in some parts of the state. This just makes it tough to get locked in and continue to have success throughout the course of the season.
ReplyDelete